- 8 cloves peeled garlic, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced (3 to 4 cups)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- 18 cups torn greens, such as mustard, kale, chard, escarole, or a mix (about 3 large bunches)
- Grated pecorino Romano or Parmesan
Cook the garlic in olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes; take care that the garlic doesn't get too brown or it will be bitter. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic chips to a paper towel. Add the onions and red pepper (add a little more if you like things spicy) to the skillet and cook, stirring, until light brown, about 10 minutes. When the onions are almost done, add the greens in batches and cook, uncovered, just until tender, about 2 minutes. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish. Top with the reserved garlic chips and garnish with cheese.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.