- 2 cups red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 serrano chile pepper, chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 large tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 1 1/2-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Naan or other flatbread, for serving
Combine the lentils and 7 cups warm water in a pot, cover and bring to a boil. Add the chile pepper, tomato, ginger, garlic, turmeric and 2 teaspoons salt. Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, 18 to 20 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Thin the soup with water, if desired, and season with salt.
Mix the yogurt with 2 teaspoons water and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the yogurt and more cilantro. Serve with naan.
Per serving: Calories 369; Fat 3 g (Saturated 1 g); Cholesterol 3 mg; Sodium 21 mg; Carbohydrate 59 g; Fiber 15 g; Protein 27 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos