- 4 ounces thin rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanut oil or vegetable oil
- Juice of 3 limes, plus lime wedges for serving
- 4 teaspoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 small red or green jalapeno pepper
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow), thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted cashews, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro and/or mint
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, leaves separated
Cook the noodles as the label directs, then drain and toss with 1 tablespoon roasted peanut oil. Meanwhile, whisk the lime juice and 2 teaspoons teriyaki sauce in a small bowl. Combine the jalapeno (remove seeds for less heat), ginger and lime zest in a mini food processor and pulse until finely chopped, or finely chop with a knife.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon roasted peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft, 5 minutes. Add the ginger mixture and cook, stirring, until toasted, 1 minute. Add the bell peppers and cook, stirring, 3 more minutes. Add the turkey and the remaining 2 teaspoons teriyaki sauce; cook, stirring, until the meat is cooked through, about 5 more minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice mixture, cashews and herbs. Pile the noodles and turkey mixture in the lettuce leaves. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: Calories 410; Fat 18 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 65 mg; Sodium 191 mg; Carbohydrate 37 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 26 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos