Spicy Vegan Sloppy Joes
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Mushrooms make these kicked-up sloppy Joes ultra-meaty. But there's no meat here, making this vegan sandwich one of the lightest sloppy[ Joes you'll probably every make.]
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 3/4 cups light beer (drink what's left in the bottle)
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 whole grain hamburger buns
- Shredded red cabbage or lettuce, pickled jalapeno and scallions, for serving, optional
- Copyright 2012 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Pulse the mushrooms in batches in a food processor until finely chopped. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, 1 tablespoon beer and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the walnuts and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 3/4 teaspoon black pepper and chipotle powder and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add the remaining beer, the ketchup, tomato paste and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook while stirring until the sauce is the consistency that you like, about 2 minutes.
Spoon the mixture onto each bun. Serve with toppings if desired.
Cook's Note: Some buns are not vegan so check the label to be sure your hamburger buns are dairy and egg free.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens