Spring Celebration Carrot Cake
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 35 min
- 1 hr 30 min
- 20 min
- 45 min
- 1 1/2 cups grated fresh carrots (about 2 large)
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 4 -ounce jars pureed carrot baby food
- 2 8 -ounce packages cream cheese (1 pound), at room temperature
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), cubed, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple
- Thinly peeled carrot, for garnish
1. For Cake: Preheat oven to 350F. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans, line with parchment paper and butter paper. Dust pan with flour.
4. Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl using a mixer until thick and light, about 5 minutes. Gradually add oil, while beating. Beat in pureed carrot.
5. Fold in dry ingredients until a loose batter forms. Fold in nuts, carrots, and pineapple. Pour into prepared pans. Bake until firm to touch and a cake tester, inserted into center, comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on a rack for 25 minutes. Turn out of pans and cool completely on rack.
6. For Icing: Beat cream cheese in a large bowl, using a mixer until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in butter until smooth. Sift sugar over cream cheese mixture; beat until smooth. Add lemon zest and vanilla extract and beat until light and fluffy. Refrigerate icing for about 20 minutes.
7. Place a cake layer on a cake stand or plate. Spread about half icing over top. Sprinkle on half of pineapple and top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining icing over top and sprinkle with remaining pineapple. Garnish with thin peels of fresh carrot.
Total Fat: 36 grams
Saturated Fat: 3.5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 49 grams
Protein: 7 grams
Sodium: 340 milligrams
Cholesterol: 85 milligrams
Fiber: 2 gram
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved