- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced pickled banana peppers, plus 1/2 cup juice from the jar
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1 pound grilled flank steak (reserved from Grilled Steak With Tapenade
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 pocketless pitas (preferably whole wheat)
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves, thinly sliced
- Hot sauce, for topping (optional)
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Toss the onion, banana peppers and 1/3 cup of the pickle juice in a bowl. Whisk the hummus with 3 to 4 tablespoons water in another bowl until smooth and pourable.
Thinly slice the steak against the grain, then cut crosswise into bite-size pieces. Toss with the remaining 3 tablespoons pickle juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
Brush the pitas on one side with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, oiled-side down, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
Remove the pitas from the grill and top with the steak. Drain the onion and peppers; divide evenly among the pitas. Top with the lettuce and drizzle with the hummus sauce. Top with hot sauce, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 480; Fat 19 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 43 mg; Sodium 461 mg; Carbohydrate 46 g; Fiber 7 g; Protein 32 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos