- 1 1/4 pounds boneless sirloin steak (about 1 inch thick), excess fat trimmed
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 jarred pepperoncini, drained and thinly sliced
- 1 15 -ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Focaccia, for serving (optional)
Sprinkle the steak all over with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak and sear until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Add the garlic to the skillet. Once it sizzles, add the onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften slightly, about 4 minutes. Add the pepperoncini, tomatoes, oregano, red pepper flakes and 3/4 cup water and stir to combine. Bring to a rapid simmer, then nestle the steak in the sauce and simmer, turning once, until medium rare, about 7 minutes. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest about 5 minutes. Continue simmering the sauce until thickened, about 3 more minutes.
Thinly slice the steak against the grain and divide among plates. Top with the sauce and parsley. Serve with focaccia.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos