- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Pat the steak dry and brush lightly with olive oil. Season with 11/2 teaspoons salt and 2 to 3 teaspoons pepper. Cook, turning once, 10 to 13 minutes total for medium rare. Transfer the steak to a cutting board to rest, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk. Return to medium heat and simmer, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the spinach, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup parmesan, the lemon zest and nutmeg and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and the spinach is tender, about 10 minutes. Thin with water, if needed. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup parmesan and salt to taste.
Thinly slice the steak and serve with the spinach.
Per serving: Calories 503; Fat 27 g (Saturated 14 g); Cholesterol 115 mg; Sodium 127 mg; Carbohydrate 13 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 49 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos