Steamed Vegetables with Tomato and Basil Dressing
- Tomato and Basil Dressing:
- 4 ripe medium tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 bunch broccoli, cut in large florets
- 1/2 bunch cauliflower, cut in large florets
- 2 carrots, cut in thick slices
- 1 yellow or zucchini squash, cut in thick rounds
- 1/2 to 1 head fennel, cut into thin wedges
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch scallions
For the sauce: Scoop the flesh and juices of the tomatoes out of the skins with a spoon into a bowl; discard the empty skins. Whisk in the vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, breaking up the tomato as you do. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream to make a chunky, slightly thick dressing. Roughly chop the basil and stir into the dressing. Set aside for 15 minutes to let the flavors come together. Remove the garlic.
For the vegetables: Pour an inch or more of water in a wok or skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Place the vegetables in a bamboo or collapsible steamer. Set the steamer over the boiling water, cover, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or just until the vegetables are crisp tender. Serve warm or at room temperature with the dressing.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.