- 5 cups strawberries (about 2 pounds)
- 3 cups blackberries (about 10 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream, chilled
- 1/3 cup elderflower syrup or lychee syrup
- 1 prepared angel food cake
1. Reserve a handful of whole strawberries and blackberries to top the cake.
2. Hull and halve all but reserved strawberries; toss them with sugar in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until juices release, about 1 hour.
3. Whip cream in a chilled bowl to soft peaks. Fold in elderflower syrup and set aside in refrigerator.
4. Tear or cut angel food cake into 2-inch pieces. Scatter half of cake pieces onto bottom of a trifle dish or large clear glass bowl. Add blackberries to strawberries and ladle half of the berry mixture and their juices over cake; top with half whipped cream. Repeat with remaining cake, berries and cream. Garnish top trifle with reserved whole berries and refrigerate for 2 or up to 24 hours. Serve chilled.
Nutrition Info (per serving):
Total Fat: 15 grams
Saturated Fat: 9 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 49 grams
Protein: 5 grams
Sodium: 27 milligrams
Cholesterol: 55 milligrams
Fiber: 3 gram