- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch-square baking pan with foil, pressing it into the corners and up the sides; leave an overhang on 2 sides. Butter the foil.
Put 4 tablespoons butter and the brown sugar in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until the butter is melted, about 1 minute. Stir in the vanilla. Let cool slightly, then stir in the egg.
Whisk the flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Stir into the butter mixture. Stir in the butterscotch chips and nuts and spread the batter in the pan. Drop dollops of jam on top and swirl with a knife. Bake until set, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes on a rack, then lift the foil and transfer the blondies to the rack to cool completely. Remove the foil and cut into bars.
Photograph by Con Poulos