- 2 large tomatoes, such as beefsteak (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 slices bacon (about 3 ounces) - finely chopped
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and excess liquid squeezed out
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
Position an oven rack in the upper part of the oven and preheat the broiler to high.
Cut the tomatoes crosswise, and pop out the seeds. Season with some of the salt and place cut-side down on a paper towel to drain.
Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large skillet until crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to the paper towel with the tomatoes. Cook the shallot until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, stir until heated through and somewhat dry, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a board to cool.