- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- One 5-ounce container baby spinach
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced, about 1 cup
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil
Combine 1/4 cup juice with the sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small nonstick skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reduces slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the walnuts and continue to cook, stirring, until the nuts are coated and dark and the liquid evaporates in the skillet, about another 5 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet to cool. When cool, break apart with your hands.
Meanwhile, soak the red onion in ice water for about 10 minutes; drain and pat dry. Place the baby spinach in a serving bowl and top with the onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and walnuts. In a bowl whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons juice with the vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and then whisk in the oil. Drizzle over the salad and toss just before serving.
Per serving: Calories: 170; Total Fat: 13 grams; Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams; Protein: 4 grams; Total carbohydrates: 13 grams; Sugar: 6 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 300 milligrams