- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 2 firm-ripe plantains (about 1 pound)
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Rum Whipped Cream, recipe follows, or ice cream
Peel the plantains and discard the skins. Slice into 1/4-inch thick pieces. Fry the plantains in oil, turning occasionally, until a golden brown color, about 2 to 4 minutes. The longer the plantains fry the sweeter they are. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle the plantains with a little salt.
Rum Whipped Cream:
- 3/4 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
Whip the cream just until soft peaks form. Add the rum and whip again, taking care not to over whip your cream. Serve now or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.