Sweet Potato Casserole
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 10 min
- 25 min
- 45 min
- 8 servings
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, 8 ounces, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Put the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water by 2-inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots. Cook until both the potatoes and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
2. Transfer the potatoes and carrots to a large bowl and add the sugar, butter, ginger, zest, and cinnamon. Mash until well combined and slightly chunky. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the egg whites and transfer to the baking dish. Sprinkle with the nuts and bake until well puffed and hot through, about 30 minutes.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Nutritional analysis per serving
Calories 197; Total Fat 6g (Sat Fat 2g, Mono Fat 2.5g, Poly Fat 1g) ; Protein 3g; Carb 33g; Fiber 5g; Cholesterol 8mg; Sodium 218mg
By mixing carrots and sweet potatoes and mashing them together you get a double punch of Vitamin A as well as the natural sweetness from the carrots. From there, just a touch of butter, sugar, orange zest and spice with the crunch of some pecans toasting on top makes this classic casserole updated and healthier.