- 1 cup white rice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh salsa, plus more for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 14-ounce cans black-eyed peas (1 undrained; 1 drained and rinsed)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt, for serving (optional)
Cook the rice as the label directs. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the salsa and cumin and cook, stirring, until the salsa is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas, plus the liquid from one of the cans and 1/4 cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are creamy and tender, about 12 minutes.
Fluff the rice with a fork and divide among bowls. Add the spinach and cilantro to the black-eyed pea mixture and stir until wilted, about 1 minute; spoon evenly over the rice. Top each serving with a few avocado slices, some cheese and more salsa. Serve with sour cream or Greek yogurt, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 542; Fat 22 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 30 mg; Sodium 527 mg; Carbohydrate 66 g; Fiber 11 g; Protein 21 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos