- 1 1/3 cups wild rice (8 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 4 3/4 cups homemade turkey or chicken broth, or low-sodium canned
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- One 12-ounce package loose pork sausage meat
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
1. In a large sauce pan, combine wild rice, 4 cups of stock and salt, to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover, and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and transfer rice to a large bowl.
2. In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat and add sausage meat. Cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain off excess fat, and stir sausage into rice.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions, and cook until golden, about 15 minutes. Add thyme and cook 2 minutes more. Stir into rice mixture.
4. Preheat oven to 350F. Melt remaining butter in skillet over medium heat and add mushrooms. Cook until wilted and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Stir into rice with parsley and the remaining 3/4 cup of stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a 9- by 13-inch casserole dish, cover with foil, and bake until heated through about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Info (per serving):
Total Fat: 18 grams
Saturated Fat: 8 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 25 grams
Protein: 14 grams
Sodium: 395 milligrams
Cholesterol: 45 milligrams
Fiber: 2.5 grams