- i1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 strip fresh lemon zest
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus whole leaves, for garnish
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces any combination of cremini, shiitake, or oyster mushrooms (about 4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan (about 3/4 ounce)
- Kosher salt
1. Heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan. Add the barley and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the barley smells toasty, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the lemon zest, 3 sprigs thyme, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. When most of the water is absorbed, add the chopped parsley.
3. Remove the stems of shiitake mushrooms and discard. Slice the mushrooms into 1/4-inch wide strips. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and the remaining 3 sprigs thyme and continue to cook until brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Spoon the barley into warm bowls and top with the mushrooms. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top. Garnish with parsley leaves and serve hot.
Nutrition Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 16 grams
Saturated Fat: 7.5 grams
Total Carbohydrates: 47 grams
Protein: 13 grams
Sodium: 413 milligrams
Cholesterol: 28 milligrams
Fiber: 9 grams