- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 1 12-ounce package firm tofu, drained and sliced into 8 pieces
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 loaf whole-wheat Italian bread, cut into 4 pieces and split in half
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound baby spinach (about 8 cups)
Toss the breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons parmesan and the Italian seasoning on a plate; season with salt and pepper. Beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Dip the tofu in the egg, then in the crumbs, turning to coat.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place the bread cut-side up on a broiler pan; spread the bottom halves with sauce, then top with tofu, more sauce, the mozzarella and remaining parmesan. Broil until the cheese melts and the bread is toasted, about 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in the empty skillet over medium-high heat. Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and let wilt, about 1 minute. Place on top of the cheese and cover with the bread tops.
Per serving: Calories 491; Fat 22 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 60 mg; Sodium 1,202 mg; Carbohydrate 50 g; Fiber 7 g; Protein 24 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos