- 2 small acorn squash, halved, stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu, drained and coarsely crumbled
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 5-ounce package baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 whole-wheat pitas, toasted and torn into 1-inch pieces
Put the squash in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 1 tablespoon dill, a splash of water, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover with plastic wrap, pierce the plastic and microwave until tender, 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Stir in the tofu and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, undisturbed, 2 minutes, then cook, stirring, until browned, 3 more minutes.
Push the tofu and onion to one side of the pan; add half of the tomatoes to the other side and season with salt. Cook, stirring the tomatoes, 3 minutes, then stir into the tofu and onion mixture. Add half of the spinach and a splash of water and stir until the spinach wilts. Stir in 1 tablespoon parmesan and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
Toss the pitas, the remaining spinach, tomatoes, 3 tablespoons dill, 1 tablespoon parmesan, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and salt to taste in a bowl. Spoon the tofu mixture into the squash. Serve with the salad.
Per Serving: Calories: 396 ;Total Fat: 19 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Protein: 18 grams; Total carbohydrates: 45 grams; Sugar: grams; Fiber: 9 grams; Cholesterol: 5 milligrams; Sodium: 491 milligrams
Photograph by Christopher Testani