- 1 cup white or jasmine rice
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian chile sauce (such as Sriracha)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 scallions, sliced (white and green parts separated)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
- 4 ounces snow peas
- 1 14-ounce package soft tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
Cook the rice as the label directs. Meanwhile, whisk the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, chile sauce, cornstarch and 1 cup water in a small bowl until smooth; set aside.
Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites, garlic and ginger and stir-fry 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry until golden brown and tender, about 3 minutes. Add the snow peas and stir-fry 30 more seconds.
Whisk the reserved soy sauce mixture and add it to the wok. Bring to a simmer, then add the tofu. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the scallion greens.
Fluff the rice with a fork and divide among bowls. Top with the stir-fry and sauce.
Per serving: Calories 377; Fat 11 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 992 mg; Carbohydrate 58 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 13 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos