- 2 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and minced
- 1 small clove garlic, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 medium or large heirloom tomatoes, sliced crosswise about 1/2 inch thick
- Flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Watercress or baby arugula, for topping
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat, turning, until very crisp. Drain on paper towels until cool, then finely chop.
Stir the bacon, 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano and the flour in a small bowl. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Divide the bacon-cheese mixture into 4 mounds on the baking sheet and flatten each one into about a 3 1/2-inch round. Bake until golden brown and the cheese melts, about 7 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a rack using a thin spatula and let cool completely.
Arrange the tomatoes on a platter, sprinkling each layer with salt, pepper and some of the dressing. Scatter the watercress on top and drizzle with olive oil. Break the bacon-parmesan crisps into bite-size pieces and add to the salad.
Per Serving (includes 1 cup watercress per serving): Calories: 195; Total Fat: 14 grams; Saturated Fat: 4.5 grams; Protein: 10 grams; Total carbohydrates: 9 grams; Sugar: 4 grams; Fiber:1.5 grams; Cholesterol: 10 milligrams; Sodium: 668 milligrams
Photograph by Anna Williams