Tomato, Olive, and Caper Compote
- Total Time:
- 21 min
- 15 min
- 6 min
- about 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery (with leaves)
- 7 plum tomatoes (about 14 ounces), halved, seeds squeezed out, and diced
- 1/2 cup kalmata olives, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, and celery, season with pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, olives, and capers and cook, stirring, until hot, about 2 minutes more.
Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
Cook's Note: This briny Mediterranean-like compote goes well with grilled or broiled fish.
From Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray