- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 12 ounces dried chorizo, chopped
- 4 bunches scallions, chopped
- 4 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups low-sodium turkey or chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 13-ounce bag corn tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 8 cups stale white bread cubes
- 2 cups cubed queso fresco cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 3-quart baking dish. Melt 8 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add the chorizo, scallions, chiles and cumin and cook, stirring, until the chorizo is slightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
Whisk the eggs and cilantro in a large bowl. Add the tortilla chips, bread and cheese and season with salt and pepper. Slowly pour in the chorizo-broth mixture and toss to combine.
Chef's Note: If you're using fresh bread, dry the cubes in a 300 degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Photograph by Kana Okada