- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lightly crushed tortilla chips, plus whole chips for topping
- 1 tablespoon tequila (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
Heat the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the red onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes. Add the chipotles, tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the crushed chips and tequila; reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt. Pour into small bowls (or shot glasses); top each with sour cream, cilantro and a whole chip.
Photograph by Johnny Miller