- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces gemelli, cavatappi or other spiral-shaped pasta
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup shredded yellow sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, chives and/or scallions
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, mustard and cayenne and stir with a wooden spoon to make a paste. Cook, stirring, until the paste puffs slightly, about 1 minute. Whisk in both milks and 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened and creamy, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the cheddar and jack cheeses and all but 2 tablespoons of the parmesan and whisk until melted; keep warm.
Combine the panko, herbs and/or scallions, 1 tablespoon butter and the remaining parmesan in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until the butter melts, about 1 minute; toss.
Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup cooking water, and return to the pot. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, then stir in the cheese sauce, adding the reserved cooking water if needed. Season with salt and top with the breadcrumb mixture.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.