- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small inner stalk celery, chopped
- 2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded muenster cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce)
- 8 slices thick sandwich bread
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Combine the olive oil, onion, garlic, celery, tomatoes, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Puree until smooth with an immersion blender, or transfer to a regular blender in batches and puree. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm; add water to thin the soup, if desired.
Meanwhile, combine all three cheeses in a bowl. Divide evenly among 4 bread slices and top with the remaining bread. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches in batches, adding the remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons butter as needed, until the cheese melts and the bread is golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve the sandwiches with the soup.
Per serving: Calories 682; Fat 39 g (Saturated 16 g); Cholesterol 66 mg; Sodium 1,373 mg; Carbohydrate 56 g; Fiber 6 g; Protein 26 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos