- 2 English muffins, split, or 4 slices sourdough, rye, or whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons prepared mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 recipe tuna salad, recipe follows
- 1 cup shredded sharp farmhouse cheddar cheese
- Tuna Salad
- Two 6 ounce cans white meat tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes and drained
- 1 teaspoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper,
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste (optional)
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Preheat the broiler and set the rack about 4 to 5 inches from the heat source.
Spread the bread out on a baking sheet and toast. Spread the toasted muffins or bread with the mayonnaise, if using. Top with the tuna salad and then the shredded cheese. Place the baking sheet under the broiler and heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
In a small mixing bowl break up the tuna with a fork. Toss with the celery, onion, and parsley. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, and season with pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Add lemon juice, if using.
From Food Network Kitchens