- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil and/or chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 thick slices crusty bread
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped pickles or cornichons
- 2 5-ounce cans solid white tuna in water, drained
Preheat the broiler. Whisk the mayonnaise, herbs and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread 1/2 tablespoon of the herbed mayonnaise on each slice of bread; transfer to a baking sheet. Broil until the bread is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
Whisk the vinegar into the remaining herbed mayonnaise. Add the lettuce, cucumber, chickpeas, tomatoes, celery, pickles and tuna and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper. Divide among plates and serve with the toast.
Per serving: Calories 494; Fat 21 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 37 mg; Sodium 983 mg; Carbohydrate 47 g; Fiber 9 g; Protein 29 g
Photograph by Justin Walker