- 1 turkey carcass (from a roasted bird)
- 2 onions, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed (unpeeled)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
Insert kitchen shears into the carcass and make a few cuts to get you started. Then, use your hands to carefully pull the carcass into 4 or 5 pieces.
Combine the carcass, onions, carrots, celery, parsley, garlic, peppercorns and bay leaves in a stockpot. Cover with cold water (about 7 quarts).
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer about 2 hours, occasionally skimming any foam or fat from the surface with a large spoon or ladle.
Pour through a large mesh strainer into a pot; discard the solids. Cool slightly, then refrigerate in covered containers for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Photograph by Andrew Purcell