Turkey Picadillo Sandwiches
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 6 -ounce can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives, plus 2 tablespoons olive juice
- 4 soft sesame buns or Portuguese rolls, split
- Sliced avocado, for garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add the bay leaves, cumin, chili powder and allspice; toast 1 to 2 minutes. Add the turkey, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Cook about 5 minutes, breaking up the meat.
Add the tomato paste and stir until brick red, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 cups water, the raisins, olives and olive juice. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 15 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, 3 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: Calories 484; Fat 16 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 56 mg; Sodium 944 mg; Carbohydrate 47 g; Fiber 6 g; Protein 43 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
More Recipes and Ideas:
Hot Browns: Open-Faced Turkey Sandwiches with Parmesan Cream Sauce and Bacon, Ale-Brined Roasted-Turkey Sandwich with Red-Pepper Pesto, Hot and Creamy Turkey Sandwiches, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Turkey Pot Pie Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Turkey Burger Recipes, Christmas Dinner Recipes, Turkey Chili Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.