- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1/3 cup Cognac or other brandy
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup dried apricots (about 8 medium), coarsely chopped
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- 2 boneless, skinless turkey breast halves, butterflied (about 5 to 6 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Spread almonds and fennel seeds on a baking sheet and cook until golden and aromatic, about 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Warm cognac and water in a small saucepan, add cranberries and apricots, and set aside until plump, about 10 minutes.
3. Coarsely chop almonds and fennel in a food processor. Add fruit with liquid, shallot, butter, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper, to taste and pulse until fruit and nuts are coarsely chopped. Add parsley and pulse once or twice more.
4. Place turkey breast halves on a cutting board. Divide and spread fruit mixture evenly over them, leaving about a 1-inch border. Starting with long end each breast, roll up and
tie with butchers twine. Season generously with salt and pepper.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil, and heat until shimmering. Sear turkey roulades, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Place roulades on a rack set in a roasting pan and pour 2 cups wine over meat. Roast, uncovered, until an instant-read thermometer, inserted into meat center, registers 165F, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Transfer breasts to a carving board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. Carve into 1-inch thick slices.
6. Place roasting pan over medium heat on stovetop. Add remaining 1 cup wine and stir using a wooden spoon to release browned bits on pan bottom. Add chicken broth and cook until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve turkey with pan sauce.
Nutrition Info (per serving):
Total Fat: 13 grams
Saturated Fat: 4 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 12 grams
Protein: 63 grams
Sodium: 620 milligrams
Cholesterol: 165 milligrams
Fiber: 2 gram