- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup dried hibiscus flowers (see cook's note)
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, unpeeled and sliced
- 4 cups white tequila
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice, strained
- 1 cup orange liqueur, such as Triple Sec
- Cubed ice, as needed
- Thinly sliced lime, for garnish
For the syrup: Put the sugar, water, hibiscus flowers, and ginger in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and set aside to steep for 30 minutes. Strain and refrigerate until chilled.
To serve, fill a cocktail shaker half way with ice, add the some of the vampiro and shake until chilled. Strain and serve straight-up in a cocktail glass garnished with lime slices. Alternatively, serve over ice in a rocks glass.
Cook's Note: Hibiscus flowers can be found in most Latin markets and is often labeled by its Jamaican name Sorrel.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.