Vegan Basil Pesto
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
The combination of smoked almonds, pistachios and green tea gives a depth of flavor that cheese would normally provide, making this a great[ vegan condiment for pasta or crostini. Freeze leftovers in an ice cube tray and store for up to one month.]
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup smoked almonds
- 1/3 cup shelled lightly salted roasted pistachios (from about 3/4 cup shell-on)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened green tea, chilled or at room temperature
- 2 large cloves garlic
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Add the basil, almonds, pistachios, tea, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt and lemon zest to a food processor. Cover and pulse a few times.
Drizzle in the oil while pureeing; continue to process until the mixture makes a coarse pesto. Add salt to taste.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens