Vegan Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
We love the combination of mushrooms and fennel seeds, which adds a nice earthiness to this dairy-free, meatless lasagna. You can prepare[ the lasagna a few hours before baking. Be sure to use no-boil noodles that aren't made with egg.]
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 thinly sliced and 1 whole
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- One 12.3-ounce package firm tofu, strained
- One 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- One 8-ounce package vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 12 to 13 no-boil vegan lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella-flavored vegan cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with oil.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced garlic, fennel seeds and red pepper flakes and stir until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook, undisturbed, until they begin to brown in spots, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon salt, bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce is reduced and most of the water is evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
Spread a few tablespoons of the mushroom-tomato sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish and top with 4 noodles (it's OK if they overlap slightly; break 1 noodle into pieces to fill in any gaps if needed). Add half of the tofu mixture and spread out evenly. Top with a third of the sauce. Repeat with another 4 noodles, the remaining spinach mixture and half the remaining sauce. Finish the lasagna with the remaining 4 noodles and sauce. Cover with foil and bake until the lasagna is hot, about 45 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle with the shredded vegan cheese and bake until the lasagna is very hot and the cheese is slightly melted, about 15 minutes more. Let cool for a few minutes, cut into 6 pieces and garnish with basil leaves.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray