Vegetable and Shrimp Frito Misto with Harissa Mayonnaise
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2011 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
The tender, golden crust gives an addictive crunch to your favorite vegetables. Serve with subtly spicy harissa mayonnaise for a dip that['s irresistible as a first course.]
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup seltzer or mineral water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Harissa Mayonnaise:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Frito Misto:
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch salt
- 1 delicata squash, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 12 green beans
- 8 fresh whole sage leaves
- 8 prawns, tails intact, peeled and deveined
1. To make the batter, whisk the flour, salt, egg yolk, and 1/2 cup water in a medium bowl. Add the sparkling water and then the olive oil. Set aside for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, stir together the harissa and mayonnaise in a bowl and set aside.
3. For the frito misto, bring 3 inches canola oil to 375 degrees F in a large, heavy-bottomed deep pot. Line 2 plates or a rack with paper towels.
4. Whisk together the egg whites and salt until they hold stiff peaks. Fold into the batter. Pat dry the vegetables and prawns and dip, a few at a time, into the batter and then into the oil. Fry in small batches, starting with the sage and ending with the prawns, until golden and the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes, depending on the size, turning to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and season with salt while warm. Serve with the harissa mayonnaise.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.