Veggie Stack Pita Pockets
- 1 15 -ounce can chickpeas or white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup grated manchego or pecorino romano cheese
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced or 1/2 bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 12 whole-wheat pita minis (3 inches), lightly toasted
1. Puree chickpeas, water, cheese, lemon juice, salt and red pepper flakes in a food processor until smooth, about 5 minutes. Pour in olive oil, with motor running, and process until velvety. Season with pepper, to taste.
2.Spoon a scant tablespoon bean spread into toasted pitas. (Store remaining bean dip covered and refrigerated for another use.) Add avocado and cucumber slices, or other vegetables choice and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve wrapped in parchment or butcher paper.
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved