- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 heads butter or Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fines herbes (chives, parsley and chervil)
Bring the wine, shallot, bay leaf, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to a simmer in a skillet over medium-high heat; cook until reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Whisk in the butter and 1 teaspoon water until smooth.
Combine the lettuce, hazelnuts and herbs in a large bowl. Add the warm dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Photograph by Kana Okada