Olives are little fat bombs and when they're heated they become that much more delicious. The balance here of the sweet brown sugar and the sharp red wine vinegar makes these olives so addictive, you may never go back to eating them cold.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 strip orange peel (use a vegetable peeler)
- 2 cups mixed brined olives, drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, vinegar, cinnamon stick, orange peel, and olives. Season with salt and pepper.