- 1/4 seedless watermelon, rind removed, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, flesh reserved
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 cup Korean chili flakes
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
Sprinkle the watermelon rind with the salt and toss to combine. Set aside for 30 minutes until the moisture has drawn out. Drain the rind and pat dry on a paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
Add 1 cup of the watermelon flesh, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and onion to a food processor. Pulse until combined. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Korean chili flakes. Add the drained watermelon rind and the scallions and toss to combine. Transfer to a jar and let it rest for at least 12 hours before serving.