- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), cold and diced, plus more for cooking
- 3/4 cup currants
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- Melted butter, for cooking
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, zest, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture looks sandy. Stir in the currants. Beat the eggs and 2 tablespoons of the buttermilk together. Stir into the dry ingredients to make a shaggy dough, add more buttermilk if the dough is dry. Gather dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Roll the dough on a floured workspace into a piece about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 2 to 3- inch rounds.
Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium-low heat. Brush the pan surface with butter. Cook the cookies until slightly brown and cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a rack, sprinkle with sugar and cool. Store in a cookie tin.
Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.