- 1/2 cup red or wild rice
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/4 cup pearl barley or farro
- 1/2 cup farina or wheat cereal
- 1 2-inch piece orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 to 2 tablespoons packed dark or light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, raisins and/or chopped apricots)
- Chopped nuts, maple syrup and/or milk, for serving (optional)
Up to 12 hours before serving, put the rice, oats, barley and farina in a 6-to-10-cup rice cooker. Stir in the orange peel, cinnamon stick, sugar, salt and 5 cups water. Add the dried fruit.
Close the cooker, set the timer and program for the porridge cycle so that breakfast is ready at the desired time. (If you don't have a porridge setting on your rice cooker, program for 50 to 55 minutes.
Serve the warm porridge with nuts, syrup and/or milk, if desired.
Per Serving: Calories: 287; Total Fat: 1 gram; Saturated Fat: 0 grams; Protein: 8 grams; Total carbohydrates: 62 grams; Sugar: 13 grams; Fiber: 5 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 151 milligrams
Photograph by Kana Okada