Whole-Wheat Spaghetti with Leeks and Hazelnuts
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large leeks, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (preferably aged)
- 1 small head radicchio, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces creamy Italian cheese, such as fontina or taleggio, cubed
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook as the label directs.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Scatter the leeks in the skillet and season with 1 teaspoon each salt and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta and the reserved cooking liquid to the skillet with the leeks. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon sugar and the balsamic vinegar. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the radicchio and cheese. Toss until the cheese melts, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and top with the hazelnuts.
Per serving: Calories 692; Fat 34 g (Saturated 11 g); Cholesterol 49 mg;
Sodium 966 mg; Carbohydrate 78 g; Fiber 13 g; Protein 26 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.