- 8 ounces asparagus
- 1 clove garlic, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked, drained, and room temperature
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 1 head Boston or large Bibb lettuce, washed and trimmed (optional)
Peel and trim the asparagus stalks. Cut about an inch of the tips from the spears and then thinly slice the remaining stalk. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the asparagus into the water and cook until just crisp tender, about 1 minute. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, shallot, mustard, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper to taste. Gradually whisk in the oil to make a creamy dressing.
In a large bowl, combine the rice, nuts, carrots, celery, asparagus, dill, and mint. Toss with about 1/3 cup dressing. Serve as is or toss the lettuce with some of the dressing. To serve place the lettuce on a serving platter or individual plates and spoon the salad into the center of the leaves. Pass any remaining dressing at the table.
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.