- 2 pounds whole russet or Yukon gold potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1 stick softened butter or 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 6 shallots, caramelized in olive oil
Put the potatoes in a saucepan; cover with cold water and add 2 tablespoons kosher salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-low to medium heat and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let sit until just cool enough to handle, then peel and transfer to a bowl.
Add the butter to the potatoes. Add the yogurt, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, and pepper to taste; mash with a potato masher or fork.
Photograph by Yunhee Kim