- 3 ripe avocados
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from 1 to 2 limes)
- 1/2 large tomato, stemmed
- 1/2 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, such as kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
Using a sharp knife, cut the avocados in half. Remove the pits. Scoop the flesh into a medium-sized bowl and roughly crush with a potato masher or fork. Stir in the lime juice.
Chop the tomato as finely as possible. Scrape the tomato flesh and juice into the bowl with the avocados.
Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, salt and pepper and stir to mix.
Press a sheet of plastic wrap on the surface of the guacamole. Let sit for about 1/2 hour at room temperature and then adjust the seasonings; you may want to add more jalapeno pepper, lime juice, salt or pepper.
Serve at room temperature with tortilla chips for dipping.