Grains of paradise, cubebs and long pepper are very difficult spices to find, so here is a modern hypocras recipe.
- 3 to 4 quills cinnamon
- 1 level tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 level tablespoon finely chopped galangal
- 1 level teaspoon freshly and roughly ground cardamom
- 1 level teaspoon grated mace
- 1 level teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 6 ounces sugar
- 3 bottles plain red wine
- 2 wine glasses brandy
Allow the spices and sugar to infuse in the wine and brandy for 24 hours. Strain through a coffee filter and serve. The traditional Tudor accompaniment to hypocras were wafers.