- 1/2 pound salt pork, cut into 4 chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cups white rice
- 6 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained, rinsed and drained again
Place a large pot over medium-high heat, and add the salt pork. Cook for several minutes, until the pork renders a tablespoon or so of fat. Add the onion, garlic, and pepper to the pot, lower the heat to medium-low, and continue to cook, stirring, until the onions are translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the rice to the pot and stir to combine. Pour in the water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Check the pot and stir its contents to make sure that the rice isn't sticking to the bottom.
Stir in the beans into the rice and cook for 10 minutes more. Remove the salt pork and discard. Serve immediately.