- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons salsa, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons finely diced green onions
- 3/4 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons bacon chipotle sauce (recommended: Bob's Bacon Chipotle Sauce)
Tortilla Chip Breading:
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Store bought salsa
- Key Lime Peppered Mayonnaise, recipe follows
- Lime twists, for garnish
Coat pan with 2 teaspoons peanut oil.
Combine beans, salsa, green onions, peppers, cilantro, bread crumbs, garlic, and chipotle sauce in a large bowl and mix well, mashing up the beans. Form 12 small patties (about the diameter of a silver dollar and 3/4 to 1-inch thick) and roll in tortilla breading.
Heat 2 teaspoons peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry patties, in batches as necessary, until golden brown and heated through.
Serve on bed of salsa or cover with salsa and fresh cilantro. Add a small dollop of Peppered Lime Mayonnaise on top and garnish with a twist on lime.