- 2 cups dried white lima beans
- 1 clove garlic, crushed, plus 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 dashes hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1/2 pound feta cheese
- 2 leeks, white part only, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 green or yellow bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Olive oil, for sauteing
- Sauteed vegetables, for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place beans in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Add 1 clove crushed garlic, red onion, and 1 tablespoon salt and simmer until tender. Drain excess water and let beans cool.
In a large bowl, combine cooked beans, lemon juice, hot sauce, remaining garlic, onion, remaining salt, pepper, feta, leeks, bell peppers, and bread crumbs. Form mixture into approximately 20 (4-ounce) patties.
Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. In batches, saute patties until browned on both sides. Transfer to the oven and finish cooking for 10 minutes. Top bean cakes with sauteed vegetables and serve.
* Professional Recipe
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.